A Dozen Egg-cellent Ways to Use Your Easter Eggs
by Pam Molnar
A week before Easter, your children tried to convince you that they should EACH decorate a dozen Easter eggs. Feeling festive and knowing the eggs were on sale, you agreed, hoping you would find a way to incorporate them in your meals. Now that Easter has passed and you are still left with most of the eggs, your family has grown tired of egg salad sandwiches. Looking for fresh ideas? Check out these twelve simple recipes for using up your Easter eggs.
1. Put it in a salad. Dice up and sprinkle on a Caesar salad, quarter long ways for a nice addition to a Cobb salad or slice into coins and add to a spinach salad with bacon and mushrooms.
2. Serve up a batch of baked Scotch eggs. Remove sausage from the casing (Italian, turkey, apple and chicken) and wrap around a peeled egg drenched in flour. Dip sausage covered egg in raw egg and then roll in bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Create a Mexican breakfast pizza. Using a piece of flatbread as your crust, spread a layer of refried beans and top with chopped green onions, tomatoes, sliced eggs and sprinkle with Chihuahua cheese. Serve cold as breakfast or an appetizer.
4. Spread pesto on an English muffin and top with sliced eggs, bacon and tomatoes.
5. Serve your guests a deviled egg appetizer. Add all the ingredients of your normal deviled egg recipe (mayo, mustard, eggs, onions, etc.) to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add sliced jalapeños to give it a little kick. Serve with raw veggies or spicy crackers.
6. Toss together a side dish using sliced eggs, cooled red potatoes, dill, radishes, chickpeas and bacon. Dress with a creamy Italian dressing.
7. Make egg calzones with refrigerated pizza dough. Roll out dough and fill with crumbled eggs, sautéed green peppers and onions, cooked spicy sausage and jarred pizza sauce. Fold dough over to create calzone and seal edges with a fork. Bake as directed on pizza dough package.
8. Dish up egg salad with a twist. Instead of combining mayo and yellow mustard with your eggs, try using Greek yogurt and avocados. Blend two avocados with six diced hard boiled eggs and add enough yogurt to give you the consistency you prefer. Serve in pitas or wheat wraps.
9. Add eggs to the middle of your favorite meatloaf recipe. That’s how Mom did it!
10. Mix into tuna salad. Combine one chopped egg for each can or packet of tuna. Mix in 2 to 3 tablespoons of mayo or Greek yogurt per egg/tuna combo. For an added crunch, add celery, onions or diced water chestnuts. Serve on bread or in a cored tomato.
11. Combine chopped, cooked shrimp with a half cup each of finely chopped red onion, green peppers and celery. Add two chopped eggs, cilantro, Greek Yogurt (1/2 cup – ¾ cup) and a tablespoon of lime juice. Serve on rice cake for a light lunch.
12. Try a spin on the deviled egg. Add bacon, hot sauce, diced ham, wasabi or exchange BBQ sauce for mustard in your normal recipe.
What about all that leftover ham?
1. Cube ham and make kabobs with pineapple and cherry tomatoes.
2. Dice ham and mix in with a package of frozen hash browns and 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until internal temp is 160 degrees.
3. Create a Cobb salad with Romaine lettuce, ham, tomatoes, avocados, hard boiled eggs and bleu cheese crumbles. Top with bleu cheese dressing or a balsamic vinaigrette.
4. Add to soups – 15 bean, split pea, potato or broccoli cheddar. Freeze the ham bone and create soap for another day.
5. Make Panini sandwiches with sliced ham, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and spinach leaves.
6. Use ham as dippers in Swiss cheese fondue. Combine ½ pound each of shredded Gruyère and emmentaler Swiss cheese with 3 tablespoons of floor. Warm 1 cup of white wine on stove or in fondue pot and slowly add cheese until melted smooth.
Send Us Your Photos!
Help us celebrate the Spring season by sending in a spring or Easter photo of your child. Snap a picture during the big Easter Egg Hunt, visiting the Easter Bunny, showing off their decorated eggs, or just outside enjoying Spring! Send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring” as the subject line. Include your child’s name, age, and city.
Deadline for submitting your photo is April 26th.
You could see your child featured on our Instagram!
Easter Bunny Locations
Fashion Fair Mall, Fresno
Visit the Easter Bunny for photos March 28 through April 20 in Center Court! Reservations available but not required. Check website or call for daily hours. Starting at $29.99+. 645 E. Shaw Avenue. 224-1592
Hanford Mall, Hanford
Hop over and take a photo with the Easter Bunny April 5 through 20 at the Mall! Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.-7 p.m. and Sunday 12-6 p.m. Bring your furry family members for pet photos on April 8 and 15. $16.95+. 1675 W. Lacey Boulevard. 583-1200
Petsmart, multiple cities
Bring the whole family—including your pets, of course—for a free photo with the Easter Bunny on April 13 and 14 from 12-4 p.m. Clovis 299-0120 and 297-9514, Hanford 587-0286, Merced 209-722-0844, Fresno 490-7081 and 277-2220, Visalia 625-0299
River Park, Fresno
The Easter Bunny has left some of his adorable, cuddly baby bunnies in charge of photos from March 30 through April 20 in front of Edwards Cinemas! Visit website for times and prices. 250 E. Paseo Del Centro. holidaymagicstudios.com
Sierra Vista Mall, Clovis
Snap a photo with the Easter Bunny April 6 to 20 in Center Court! Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-8 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Visit website or call for pricing. 1050 Shaw Avenue. 299-0660
Visalia Mall, Visalia
Get egg-cited for photos with the Easter Bunny April 5 to 20 at Fashion Court! Monday-Friday 12-8 p.m. with a break from 3-3:45 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Bring your loveable pets for pet photos April 8 and 15 from 5 p.m. to close. $27.99+. 2031 S. Mooney Boulevard. 733-3898
Central California Parent is the #1 FREE parenting resource for Central Valley families.
Stay connected with Central California Parent throughout the month!
• Like Us on Facebook
• Follow Us on Instagram
• Follow Us on Pinterest
• Follow Us on Twitter
• Subscribe For our Family E-Newsletter
• Read Our Digital Edition
• Enter for our FREE Giveaways