Create your own colorful creatures with rocks
By Megan Murray Elsener
Comb the beach, river banks, or your backyard to find the perfect flat and smooth rocks. Just in time for Halloween, turn them into monstrous magnets for your fridge or front door.
• Flat rocks or large pebbles
• Acrylic paints
• Craft glue or super glue
• Googly eyes
• Paint pens or sharpies
1. Select rocks that have a flat and smooth surface. Paint the entire rock with colorful acrylic paint. It may need two coats of paint. Let dry completely.
2. Using googly eyes, create a face on the front side of the rock. Use as many or few eyes as your monster desires.
3. Using either a black paint pen or thin-point Sharpie, draw a mouth on your monster. To create teeth, use a white paint pen or acrylic paint.
4. On the back of the rock, glue on a magnet on a flat portion of the rock. Make sure the magnet is large enough to hold the weight of the rock.
5. Once completely dry, decorate your fridge or front door with your colorful Halloween rock monsters!
Megan Murray Elsener is a Chicago mother of three.