Summer is in full swing! Are your kids saying “I’m bored!”? Keep them busy with this last list of 7 COOL SUMMER FUN items. (Don’t worry! If you missed Week 1, Week 2, Week 3 or Week 4 you can still check them out!)
Cool Off at the Rink!
Play Some Ball!
Scoot Around This Summer!
Cool Off at the Rink
Don your cold weather clothes and venture over to the Gateway Ice Center where the temperature is 50 degrees every day! This ice rink is a first class ice skating facility and a great place to cool off and have some fun. It offers public skating sessions every weekday all summer long. Learn to skate lessons are available for first-time skaters ages 4 and up on Wednesday at 6:10 p.m. and Saturday at 12:30 p.m. If you choose to be an observer, there’s a glass enclosed warm room available to watch the kids skate. Visit www.gatewayicecenter.com for public session times.
General admission for kids age 13 and over is $7.50, children 12 and under $6.50, skate rental is an extra $4.50. Gateway Ice Center is located at 2473 N. Marks Avenue in Fresno. 559-277-2233
Play Some Ball
Are you up to the challenge? Play a game of paintball at Maximum Paintball The Field located at 1707 W. Jensen Avenue in Fresno. Players must be at least 10 years old and in fair physical condition.
Children’s Museum of the Sierra
Your kids will enjoy this discovery museum for young people ages 2-12 where they can explore, imagine, create, make choices and learn by doing. The hands-on exhibits teach scientific principles and allow children to learn about the world around them through dramatic play and artistic expression.
The Children’s Museum of the Sierra is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission is $6 per person, children under 2 are admitted free. It is located at 49269 Golden Oak Drive, Suite 104, in Oakhurst. 559-658-5656
No Sew Socktopus
This is the perfect craft for all those miss matched socks lying around the house. It requires no sewing skills and provides lots of entertainment for the kids.
1. Choose two long socks, one will be for the outside, the other will be stuffed on the inside.
2. Use scissors to cut along the back of the leg and ankle of the outside sock. Leave the entire foot of the sock intact.
3. Stuff the inside sock into the foot of the outside sock and mold into a ball to make the head of your socktopus.
4. Take a rubber band and secure the base of the head leaving the cut leg and ankle of the outside sock dangling.
5. Cut the leg and ankle of the outside sock into 8 strips to make the socktopus legs.
6. Glue on two googly eyes, draw on eyebrows and a big smile with a permanent marker and your cute socktopus is ready to play!
Oso De Oro Park in Fresno
Pack a picnic and head over to Oso de Oro Park. Located in Northwest Fresno, this beautiful 9.3 acre park is an excavated storm water retention basin so features are arrayed at three different elevations. The park’s upper street level tier features picnic pavilions, little and big kids’ play areas, swings, and other old California-themed play areas. The middle tier has an open turf play area, a wheelchair basketball court, and two interpretive mazes. The entire middle and upper tiers have wide, gently sloped walkways. The lower tier has a permanent lake with observation docks over the lake providing views of aquatic habitat and wildlife. Oso de Oro Lake Park is accessible to everyone including children and adults with a broad range of disabilities. Reservations for covered picnic tables and pavilions need to be made with the Fresno Metropolitan Flood Contract District at (559) 456-3292.
Chocolate Banana Bites
These tasty little bits are perfect snacks to keep on hand in the freezer. Your kids will love decorating them with all their favorite toppings!
1. Cut up 4 bananas into one inch thick discs.
2. Melt 3 cups of dark chocolate either over a double boiler or slowly in the microwave.
3. Organize toppings into separate bowls. Some great ideas are sprinkles, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, crushed pretzels, crushed Oreos, chopped coconut or any chopped up candy.
4. Dip the bananas into the chocolate with a fork and cover completely. Scrape off the excess chocolate, then transfer onto a sheet of wax paper.
5. Let the kids sprinkle the chocolate covered bananas with their choice of toppings immediately after dipping.
6. Once all the bananas are dipped and topped, place them in the freezer. After about 1 hour they should be hard enough to remove from the wax paper and place into a tupperware container. No need to thaw these treats, they’re great right out of the freezer!
Scoot around this summer on your very own Pulse Performance GRT-11 Electric Scooter designed for kids 8+ years old, up to 120 lbs.
The GRT-11 electric scooter is the right fit for boys and girls looking to transition to their first kids electric scooter. You get 80 Watt of power, up to 50 minutes of continuous ride time and can handle a rider up to 120 lbs. Perfect for kids learning to ride. The GRT-11 electric scooter features Push-To-Go Technology. The rider must push off with their feet for the electronic action to start; aiding in the beginning steps to learn how to ride an electric scooter safely. Additional features include a 12-Volt rechargeable battery system, contoured stem and handle bars for comfort, thumb lever throttle, and an extra sticky grip-tape deck with long lasting vibrant graphics. Easy for children to handle. The GRT-11 scooter comes with zero-maintenance polyurethane wheels and a durable chain drive system that transfers power efficiently. An integrated rear foot brake has an electrical cutout switch that shuts down power to the motor when the brake lever is engaged; ensuring quick, safe stopping. A simple LED light on/off indicator for safety and power converter for recharging is included.
- Speeds up to 8 mph through 80 Watt chain driven motor are perfect for beginner riders
- Thumb actuated throttle with Push-To-Go technology and integrated foot brake make it easy to transition from kick scooters to electric
- Up to 50 minute ride time
- Single piece composite deck with extra sticky grip tape for ultimate control
- Zero maintenance 160 mm x 30 mm cast polyurethane wheels with ABEC-5 bearings keep the ride smooth
- Heavy-duty steel constructed stem, rise bars, and internal frame
We gave away a Pulse Performance GRT-11 Electric Scooter to one lucky winner!
Don’t worry! If you missed the previous weeks you can still view them here:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Central California Parent is the #1 FREE parenting resource for Central Valley families.
Stay connected with Central California Parent throughout the month!
• Like Us on Facebook
• Subscribe For our Family E-Newsletter
• Read Our Digital Edition
• Enter for our FREE Giveaways